Search This Blog

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Women of Northern Wairoa

I was recently contacted by Ange from Queensland regarding two of her relatives who are mentioned in this book.  It is a great pleasure to be able to provide her with information on Te Tuhi Black and her daughter Dorothy White (I can't help being amused that Dorothy went from Black to White!) - regardless, they both sound like incredibly interesting women - cheers Ange!
Here's Ange's response - Got the copies today, can not express how grateful I am as I had thought there would be a couple of lines only about each women and to receive the couple of pages with a photo of them was a really unexpected bonus. The information has opened up a whole new chapter to my whakapapa as Te Tuhi appears to be a sister of my great grandmother Tarati that I didn't know about.

And yes I had a bit of a giggle too when I learnt that a Black had become a White, and have since learnt that the family still has strong ties to Northern Wairoa as Dorothy's daughter Jenny Maioha Cocurullo (nee White) was well known and loved in local government as she was a Kaipara Council member for many years as well as being internationally reknown for her organisation of accordian concerts in Northland she even had a song? written for her............thank you very much .Ange

No comments: